Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage >  Communities > St. Daniel

St. Daniel

Roman Catholic missionary priests from the St. Francis Xavier mission ministered to Métis families in this area north of the Boyne River, then known as Îlets-de-Bois, as early as the 1830s. The first baptism took place here in 1837. In 1869, a log chapel was built on NW 16-7-5w (St. Daniel Roman Catholic Church). A cairn marks the site of the original Îlets-de-Bois cemetery. The church was later moved to SE 24-7-5w where a new cemetery was laid out and the Parish of St. Daniel established. A new frame church was built at this site in 1910. The bell tower and bell still stand at the site which is adjacent to the ‘new’ cemetery. Cairns also mark the location of the early Îlets-de-Bois Cemetery and St. Daniel schools.

St. Daniel post office opened in 1904 in Joseph Aymont’s store on 30-7-5w. He brought the mail from Carman, and was paid $75 per year. Aymont served as postmaster until 1912. Frederick Conrad then operated it in his home until the post office closed in 1916.

See also:

Monuments, Cairns, Signs

Back to Communities list or Communities Cairns/Signs list